Who are ‘we’?
This website is operated by Contemporary British Silversmiths. Contemporary British Silversmiths exists to promote and safeguard the beautiful craft of silversmithing and we take our work very seriously. We take the same approach to your privacy and the way we handle your personal details. Any data you supply to us is used to fulfil these objectives and to manage our membership and for no other purpose and we do not sell your data on to anyone.
We therefore urge you to read this policy very carefully because it contains important information about us and:
- The personal information we collect about you, our users
- What we do with your information, and
- Who your information may be shared with
If you have any questions about this policy, please get in touch by email , through our contact form or by post at c/o Clive Burr, The Goldsmiths’ Centre, 42 Britton Street, London EC1M 5AD
Your acceptance of this policy, and our right to change it
By using our websites, social media pages, buying tickets and products, becoming a member or providing your information you consent to our collection and use of the information you provide in the way(s) set out in this policy. We may make changes to this policy from time to time. If we do so, we will post the changes on this page and they will apply from the time we post them. This policy was last changed on 25 May 2018.
What is personal data?
Personal data is information that can be used to help identify an individual, such as name, address, phone number, image or email address. This policy applies to all the websites we operate, our use of emails and text messages for marketing purposes, and any other methods we use for collecting information. It covers what we collect and why, what we do with the information, what we won’t do with the information, and what rights you have.
The data we collect
On joining Contemporary British Silversmiths as a member, we ask for personal information that can include:
- Your name, address, email address, phone number, bullion dealer account number, product images, course details for students / new graduates, any information you chose to publish on your Contemporary British Silversmiths’ website profile, and your bank details if we need to make a payment to you.
- If you are joining our mailing list we only ask for your name and email address.
We will only ever collect the information we need on our website users – including data that will be useful to help improve our services. Non-personal information such as IP addresses (the location of the computer on the internet), pages accessed and files downloaded. This helps us to determine how many people use our sites, how many people visit on a regular basis, and how popular our pages are. This information doesn’t tell us anything about who you are or where you live. It simply allows us to monitor and improve our service.
We collect this information in connection with specific activities, such as newsletter requests, membership requests, applications, feedback, ticket or product purchases etc. The information is either needed to fulfil your request or to enable us to provide you with a more personalised service. You don’t have to disclose any of this information to browse the sites. However, if you do choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services.
How we collect your data
We only collect personal information from you directly. This may be when you ask to go on our mailing list, apply to become a member of the Contemporary British Silversmiths, or to exhibit in Contemporary British Silversmiths exhibition or other opportunity such as a graduate award. We may also ask for information if you are being paid for taking part in a Contemporary British Silversmiths initiative e.g. lecture or tutor fees. If making an online purchase via our web shop we add your name to our mailing list and pass on the details that you enter directly to the maker involved so that they can fulfil the order. Website usage information is also collected using cookies. Please see Our Cookies Policyfor further information.
What do we do with the data?
To fulfil our objectives and manage our membership, we may process personal information for carefully considered and specific purposes which are in our interests and enable us to enhance the services we provide and which we consider also benefit our members. These include some or all of the following:
Providing communications which we think will be of interest, to our members, with members news, details of exhibitions, events, calls for entry and opportunities;
- Activities required to manage our membership, including sending you timely reminders when your membership is due for renewal;
- Providing discounts for our members with certain relevant suppliers;
- Activities required to organise Contemporary British Silversmiths exhibitions, conferences, demonstrations or other events;
- Activities required to process invoices or expense claims;
- Activities required to support Contemporary British Silversmiths initiatives such as the Skills Training Scheme;
- Internal record keeping.
If you do not want us to contact you for any of these purposes, then please email with your request to opt-out. Please bear in mind that if you opt-out this may affect our ability to carry out tasks above for your benefit. Contemporary British Silversmiths will not sell or share your data to 3rd parties for marketing purposes.
From 25 May 2018, only those people who have opted in will receive these communications. If you want to receive this information but haven’t opted in, you can do so by subscribing to our newsletter or emailing us.
How long we keep your data
For our members, past-award winners, exhibitors at Contemporary British Silversmiths exhibitions and delegates who have attended Contemporary British Silversmiths events, we are required under UK tax law to keep your basic personal data (name, address, contact details) for a minimum of 6 years. Following this period, Contemporary British Silversmiths will keep your name and email address for the purpose of maintaining our membership, awards, exhibition and event records, but records containing all other personal details will be destroyed. For our internal processes, Contemporary British Silversmiths will retain a list of all applicants for Contemporary British Silversmiths awards, initiatives and exhibitions but all other details regarding your application will be destroyed within 2 months of the selection process. Names of award winners, exhibitors, speakers at our events, e.g. in exhibition catalogues, e-bulletins, conference programmes etc. will be in the public domain.
Sharing your information
We will only share your information if:
- We are legally required to do so, e.g. by a law enforcement agency legitimately exercising a power or if compelled by an order of the Court
- We are working with a carefully selected partner that is carrying out work on our behalf. These partners may include mailing houses, marketing agencies, online retailers and IT specialists. The kind of work We may ask them to do includes processing, accounting software, packaging, mailing and delivering purchases, answering questions about products or services, sending postal mail, emails and text messages, carrying out research or analysis and processing card payments. We only choose partners we can trust. We will only pass personal data to them if they have signed a contract that requires them to:
Abide by the requirements of the Data Protection Act
Treat your information as carefully as we would
Only use the information for the purposes it was supplied (and not for their own purposes or the purposes of any other organisation)
Allow us to carry out checks to ensure they are doing all these things.
Storing your information
For members, Contemporary British Silversmiths may pass on your name and email address and customer number to our bullion partner to activate the Contemporary British Silversmiths discount. If you do not want your details shared in that way then do not provide your customer number. If you would like to opt out of the discount later, then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org the bullion dealer will be notified to remove your details.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect:
- Information is stored by us on servers located in the UK and EU
- We place a great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our supporters, customers and users. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal data under our control. For example, only authorised personnel are authorised to access user information and we use secure server software (SSL) to encrypt financial and personal information you input before it is sent to us.
- While we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur while it is under our control, we use our best efforts to try to prevent this.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of data across the Internet is not completely secure and whilst we do our best to try to protect the security of your information we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration of data will not occur whilst data is being transferred.
- Where you or we have provided a password enabling you to access parts of our websites or use our services, it is your responsibility to keep this password confidential. Please don’t share your password with anyone.
- We will keep your information only for as long as we need it to provide you with the goods, services or information you have required or administering your relationship with us. When we no longer need information we will always dispose of it securely.
What we don’t do with your information
We never sell or share your information to other organisations to use for their own purposes.
The Data Protection Act gives you certain rights over your data and how we use it.
You have a number of legal rights to control what we do with your information:
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you and the right to request deletion of this data (known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information or want to correct or update information that is incorrect, please email us. Please note that in some cases, asking us to do this may mean that we are no longer able to provide you with products or services.
For more information about your rights under the Data Protection Act go to the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at ico.org.uk.
Links to other websites
You can set your browser not to accept some or all cookies. However, this may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website and if you block all cookies you may not be able to access all or parts of the website.
For full details see our Cookies Policy